Sunday, June 20, 2010

Orem High School demolition

Our new Orem High School was built in the south parking lot of the old Orem High.  We moved into our new school on May 27, 2010 (the day before graduation . . . .  yes, it was a wild week!!)  The construction guys immediately started demolishing the old building.  This is the view from my new office.  To the right you can see part of the new building, and next to it you can see the old B and C gyms.  (The A gym was torn down 2 years ago to make room for the above section of the new school.)  The big hole at the left and bottom of the picture is where the shops used to be with the bomb shelter underneath it. (Notice the beautiful view of Timp that I have from my office window!!)  Yee Haw!!




This is the pile of metal that came from the auditorium. At the bottom of the picture is our new cement leading up to the front doors of the new school (which faces north).
 
This picture was taken from the 3rd floor of the new school.  You can see the "stair steps" of the auditorium where the chairs were in the balcony of the auditorium (where 1 parent got to sit for my graduation Bachalauriet . . . . . geez how do you spell that?!?!?!?)


This is looking down East hall that goes between the main school area and the counseling center and gyms.  This area didn't exist when I was in high school.  They added it later. 

It has been kind of sad to see it all come down, but then I just look around our gorgeous new building and get happy real fast.  Watching the demolition has really showed me how unsafe that old building was.  Any kind of an earthquake and we would have been flattened.  Goodbye old Orem High School and helloooooo to our new digs!

2 comments:

Curtis said...

I never attended Orem High, but my younger brothers did. I'll have to remind them to check your blog. You have a GREAT view of Timpanogas. Can you set up a web cam - or at least post a picture everytime the weather changes. OK, I'll get more specific. At least send a picture of the fall colors and then the early snowfalls, and then completely covered in snow, and then late spring with the lower hills in green and the top in the fresh snow of a late May storm. That's a lot to remember. I'll have to send you reminders.
My favorite memory of Orem High is hearing the drum corp warming up early Saturday mornings. That was the beginning of my facination with drum corp.

coryshay said...

You definitely had to downsize, but look at your great view! Love it!