Sunday, May 2, 2010

DIY

When I was down at Renae's Spring Cleaning project, I saw Reesee's old (maybe 60 years old) metal chair that was all rusted out and yucky.  So I got the idea to (as a surprise to Renae) "steal" the chair and re-do it. So during Spring Break when Karl was home and Renae was in the middle of tax season, Karl snuck the chair up to our house. 

Gordon helped me big time.  He took the chair apart by having to saw the nuts and bolts off.  We sanded and wire brushed the chair for days and days.  In between snow and rain storms we primed, painted, and sealed it.  I think it turned out so great. 
Before



Gordon bought shiny new nuts and bolts and put the chair together.  It was freezing outside on May 1st!!!!!


Tah Dah!  I think it turned out so cool. 

This will test the strength of this metal chair!!!
I took the chair down to Annette's Spring Cleaning project and surprised Renae with it.  Annette said that she was the last one to paint that chair for Reesee and Rudolph back when she was in High School.  
It was a fun project, thanks to Gordon it turned out better than it would have if I would have done it myself.
Hummmmm . . . . . . I think I have another little DIY project in mind!!!  Stay tuned!   

9 comments:

Tyson and Chelsea said...

I LOVE it!!! It turned out so good!!

coryshay said...

It looks great! Especially compared to the before pictures!

Natchel said...

Way to go handy lady!

Jonie said...

awesome!!! You did great, I also love the idea of a cleaning co-op (oh yeah, I only have brothers... not so likely)

wendy said...

I've got a few that could use a touch of you. That turned out great. I would have just chucked it and called it good.

Brandi said...

Goodness, that's a cute chair. Way to go on the ambition! Very impressive.

annette said...

Yup I painted that chair more than 40 years ago. How old does that make me sound?

Murlene Brown Watkins said...

OH MY HECK!!! That is the cutest thing I´ve ever seen! I love it!! And I love the Spring Cleaning Co-op idea. How fun!

Lorena Holmstead, CHBP, CRTS, LSH said...

Elaine - that was brilliant! I swear my Grandma Reta had chairs just like that on her front porch. Reminds me of Colonia Juarez!